Information on Non-Traditional Transportation

With the rising cost of energy more and more citizens are asking about the city ordinances concerning the operation of alternate forms of transportation.

Golf Carts

State Statutes define this as an unlicensed motor vehicle that cannot be operated on any city street, alleyway, county road or state highway. The exception is a city that may pass an ordinance allowing usage on city streets. In this event, you cannot ride on any county or state highway and in most instances are restricted to daylight hours only. Park Hills has not enacted an ordinance allowing usage of golf carts.

Bicycles, Roller Blades, Skateboards, and Roller Skates/Blades

Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, and roller skates cannot be ridden upon in the downtown business district. Bicycles cannot be ridden on any sidewalk within the business district. In a residential neighborhood, bicycles may be ridden on sidewalks, but they must give the right of way to any pedestrian. Bicyclists must obey all traffic laws. This is detailed in the City Code, Section 340.110.

Motorized Bicycles

Motorized bicycles (with an engine displacement of 49cc or less) cannot be driven on any city sidewalk. Any person who operates a motorized bicycle must have a valid driver's license. Unless the motorized bicycle is designed to carry one or more passengers only one person shall ride the vehicle. If the motorized bicycle is designed to carry a passenger then it shall be equipped with a passenger seat and footpegs. Any person operating a motorized bicycle must obey all local and state traffic laws.

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) & Mules, Gators, Side By Sides, Etc. (UTV)

ATVs & UTVs are allowed to be operated on city streets by obtaining a permit.  The permit fee is $15 and permits are renewable each January. The permit fee must be paid at City Hall. The applicant will then take their receipt, along with a valid Driver's License or I.D. and proof of insurance to the Park Hills Police Department where they will obtain the permit application.  The operator must be a licensed driver.  The applicant will be responsible for ensuring that the ATV/UTV meets all requirements as listed in City Ordinance #1306-19.

Lawn Tractors

Lawn/yard tractors may not be used for transportation. A lawn/yard tractor can be operated on city streets for the purpose of moving from one job site to another.